Westerhope village did not have a pub until 1938 when the covenant restricting the building of an 'ale house' was overturned. However, the Jingling Gate stood just to the west of the village on Stamfordham Road with its smithy, the latter having since been incorporated into the pub. The spelling on early nineteenth century maps is the Old English 'Gingling'.
Production / content date: c1910
This image is currently unavailable on our website. For more information contact Newcastle Libraries & Information Service, Princess Square, Newcastle upon Tyne NE99 1DX, Telephone: (0191) 277 4116, E-mail - email@example.com
MLA North East retains copyright on the site. Copyright and intellectual property rights on individual items accessed through this site are retained by the legal holders of the rights on each item.
Rights to charge reproduction fees are retained by the owners of the various collections. Copies may be made and pages downloaded for research and private study only.